Editor’s note: This podcast was recorded just before Apple emailed all podcast creators about the launch of subscriptions. 99% of podcasts should not charge a subscription, so in most cases this won’t affect you. Just be sure to say “follow” my podcast as opposed to “subscribe” to avoid any confusion.
There are many “sins” of podcasting. Some you can get away with, but there are 7 that will sink your show and turn listeners away before you even get going. We examine them today.
- Bad Audio (echo, inconsistent levels)
- Overly chatty and going on unrelated tangents, especially at the start of your show
- Being overly “sales”-y, trying to sell your listeners something.
- Copyright infringement – still a grey area, but best to play it safe.
- Not being on Apple Podcasts and/or Spotify
- Talking about upcoming events without context for when you’re recording it
- Analysis Paralysis – not just actually doing your podcast.
Thanks to many of you connected with me on social or email to tell me your podcast pet peeves. It’s a long list, but these 7 are the most egregious. Got any more? Send me a note – firstname.lastname@example.org.